Bar Exam Resources
|Exam Rules||Exam Days||Prior Exams Available?
[UBE minimum passing score*]
|Alabama||T W||uses UBE ||Alabama|
|Alaska||T W||uses UBE ||Alaska|
|Arizona||T W||uses UBE ||Arizona|
|Arkansas||T W||Uses UBE ||Arkansas|
|California||T W||California Q&A||California|
|Colorado||T W||uses UBE ||Colorado|
|Connecticut||T W||uses UBE 
see also Connecticut Q (answers can be purchased)
|Delaware|| M T W
no Feb exam
|DC||T W||uses UBE ||DC|
|Florida||T W||Florida Q&A||Florida|
|Georgia||T W||Georgia Q&A||Georgia|
|Hawaii||T W||uses multistate||Hawaii|
|Idaho||T W||uses UBE ||Idaho|
|Illinois||T W||uses UBE ||not available|
|Indiana||T W||not available online||Indiana|
|Iowa||T W||uses UBE ||Iowa|
|Kansas||T W||uses UBE ||Kansas|
|Kentucky||T W||uses multistate
prior Kentucky Q
|Louisiana||M W F||Louisiana Q||Louisiana|
|Maine||T W||uses UBE ||Maine|
|Maryland||T W||uses UBE 
see also Maryland Q&A
|Massachusetts||W R||uses UBE ||Massachusetts|
|Michigan||T W||Michigan Q&A||Michigan|
|Minnesota||T W||uses UBE 
see alsoMinnesota Q&A
|Mississippi||T W||Mississippi Q&A||Mississippi
(by ID # only)
|Missouri||T W||uses UBE ||Missouri|
|Montana||T W||uses UBE ||Montana|
|Nebraska||T W||uses UBE ||Nebraska|
|Nevada||T W R||Nevada Q&A||Nevada|
|New Hampshire||T W||uses UBE ||New Hampshire|
|New Jersey||W R||uses UBE 
see also New Jersey Q&A
|New Mexico||T W||uses UBE ||New Mexico|
|New York||T W||uses UBE 
see also New York Q&A
|North Carolina||T W||uses UBE ||North Carolina|
|North Dakota||T W||uses UBE ||not available|
|Ohio||T W R||Uses UBE ||Ohio|
|Oklahoma||T W||not available online||Oklahoma|
|Oregon||T W||uses UBE ||Oregon|
|Pennsylvania||T W||Pennsylvania Q&A||Pennsylvania|
|Rhode Island||T W||uses UBE ||Rhode Island|
|South Carolina||T W||uses UBE ||South Carolina|
|South Dakota||T W||uses multistate||not available|
|Tennessee||T W||uses UBE ||Tennessee|
|Texas||T W R||Uses UBE ||Texas|
|Utah||T W||uses UBE ||not available|
|Vermont||T W||uses UBE ||Vermont|
|Virginia||T W||Virginia Q
(& sample A)
|Washington||T W||uses UBE ||Washington|
|West Virginia||T W||uses UBE ||West Virginia
(by ID # only)
|Wisconsin||T W||not available online|
* Please verify the UBE passing score with the NCBE web page.
Many states are using at least one of the multistate exams from the National Conference of Bar Examiners. That organization offers the following exams:
|Test||Prior Exams Available|
|Multistate Bar Exam||MBE (or purchase)|
|Multistate Essay Exam||MEE (or purchase)|
|Multistate Performance Test||MPT (or purchase)|
|Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam||MPRE (or purchase)|
|Uniform Bar Examination
contains MBE, MEE, and MPT (see links above)
Upcoming Bar Examination Weeks:
|Year||Bar Exam Held|
|Winter 2021||February 22-26|
|Summer 2021||July 26-30|
|Winter 2022||February 21-25|
|Summer 2022||July 25-29|
|Winter 2023||February 20-24|
|Summer 2023||July 24-28|
In addition to a bar examination, there are character, fitness, and other qualifications for admission to the bar in every U.S. jurisdiction. Applicants are encouraged to determine the requirements for any jurisdiction in which they intend to seek admission by contacting the jurisdiction. Addresses for all relevant agencies are available through the National Conference of Bar Examiners. A summary of some of these qualifications may be found in “The Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements”, a free online book. Other information may be available at the American Bar Association's Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar "Bar Admissions" page.
Study Materials in the ASL Library
Check our online catalog for recent additions.
- Bar Admission Requirements
- Prior Bar Exams
- Compilation of Bar Examination Questions and Answers from the Institute for Bar Review Study (2000-2014)
- Kentucky Bar Examinations - essay questions only (February and July exams, 1997-2018, on Reserve)
- Multistate Bar Exam (MBE) - several books on Reserve, including Multistate Bar Examination Questions, Sample MBE, Sample MBE II, and Sample MBE III
- Multistate Essay Examination (MEE) - MEE Questions and Analyses (on Reserve)
- Multistate Performance Test (MPT) - questions and "point sheets" (1997-present, on Reserve)
- Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) - MPRE Sample Questions VI (on Reserve)
- North Carolina Bar Examinations - essay questions only (February and July exams, 1998-2009, on Reserve)
- Tennessee Bar Examinations - essay questions only (February and July exams, 1998-2018, on Reserve)
- Virginia Bar Examinations - essay questions only (February and July exams, 1996-present, on Reserve)
- Study Guides
- 100 Rules to Know for Passing the Bar Exam by Steven Friedland. Reserve KF 303 .F754 2006.
- The Bar Exam in a Nutshell by Suzanne Darrow-Kleinhaus. Reserve KF 303 .D372 2009.
- Bar Prep Workbook by Steven Friedland. Reserve KF 303 .F7545 2010.
- Clearing the Last Hurdle by Wanda Temm. Reserve KF 303 .T43 2018.
- Conquering the Bar Exam edited by Evangeline M. Mitchell. Reserve KF 303 .C66 2007.
- Essential Rules for Bar Exam Success by Steven Friedland with Jeffrey Scott Shapiro. Reserve KF 303 .F75 2008.
- If I Don't Pass The Bar I'll Die by Rosemary La Puma. Reserve KF 302 .L3 2008.
- MBE: Beginning Your Campaign To Pass The Bar Exam by Keith Elkin. Reserve KF 303 .E45 2011.
- Pass the Bar by Denise Riebe and Michael Hunter Schwartz. Reserve KF 303 .R54 2006.
- Scoring High on Bar Exam Essays by Mary Campbell Gallagher. Reserve KF 303 .G353 2006. (The four-CD set is also available at the Reserve Desk.)
- Strategies & Tactics for the MBE: Multistate Bar Exam by Kimm Walton and Steven Emanuel. Reserve KF 303 .W35 2010.
- Take the Bar and Beat Me by Raymond Woodcock. Main KF 283 .W66 1991.
- You Can Pass Any Bar Exam: A Step-By-Step Guide to Success by Edna Wells Handy. Reserve KF 303 .H36 1997.
- The Zen of Passing the Bar Exam by Chad Noreuil. Main KF 303 .N674 2011.
- For other titles, ask at the Circulation Desk.
Commercial Bar Exam Review Courses
Please note: ASL does not endorse any particular bar review course. You are responsible for paying all fees incurred by participating in any of these courses (private loans may be available; the Financial Aid Office keeps a listing of lenders). This listing is not comprehensive.